Photo: Hennepin County Jail.
Photo: Hennepin County Jail.
Updated: January 17, 2020 05:29 PM
Created: January 10, 2020 12:00 AM
Two more people have been charged in connection to the kidnapping and death of Monique Baugh, a mother and Minneapolis realtor, according to court records. One of those charged is a former Hennepin County Department of Correction employee.
A criminal complaint states that Berry Davis was charged with one count of second-degree murder and one count of kidnapping. According to a second criminal complaint, Elsa Segura was charged with one count of kidnapping. Both Segura and Davis were charged via warrant and are not in custody at this time.
Cedric Lamont Berry, 41, of Minneapolis was charged last week with two counts of second-degree murder and one count of kidnapping to commit great bodily harm in connection to Baugh's death.
According to the complaints, Baugh was abducted on New Year's Eve while showing a home on the 8300 block of Niagara Avenue in Maple Grove.
The complaints say shortly after Baugh arrived at the home at about 3 p.m., a U-Haul van pulled up to the house and two men abducted Baugh.
Later that day, a U-Haul van arrived at Baugh's home. The complaints say a masked gunman entered the home and shot Baugh's boyfriend multiple times.
An hour later, officers responded to the 1300 block of Russell Avenue North in Minneapolis after a ShotSpotter report. Baugh was found with multiple gunshot wounds and duct tape around one of her wrists. She was pronounced dead a short time later.
According to the complaints, video surveillance showed a U-Haul leaving the alley at the time of the shooting.
Investigators learned that Baugh had received a number of calls on her personal cellphone, where the caller left a voicemail requesting a showing for the home in Maple Grove.
The complaints say investigators were able to confirm the voice belonged to Segura. When officers spoke with Segura, she said she did make the call and admitted it was her voice leaving the message, according to the complaints.
Segura worked for the Hennepin County Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation from June 2014 to December 2019, most recently as a probation officer, the county said.
Hennepin County Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation released the following statement Friday:
"The Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation is aware that former employee Elsa Segura has been criminally charged in connection to the tragic New Year's Eve homicide in Minneapolis. Our department's thoughts and condolences are with the family of the victim during this time. This incident and former employee do not represent the high standards that our department's probation officers maintain on a daily basis to enhance community safety, promote community restoration, and reduce the risk of re-offense. Segura has not been an employee of the department or county since December 18, 2019."
Investigators were able to obtain video of the purchase of the phone used to call Baugh, which showed Berry making the purchase. While Berry was making the purchase, he received a call from Davis, according to the complaints.
The complaints go on to say that Berry and Davis' phone records show the two were in locations that were "pertinent to the investigation," including the area near Russell Avenue.
On Dec. 30, Berry picked up a U-Haul and called Davis multiple times. The complaints note that Berry had no contact with Davis again until later that night.
According to the complaints, "Investigators believed this lack of cell phone communication, particularly when there was so much between their two phones during other time frames, would be consistent with Berry and Davis being so close in proximity during the course of the abduction and murder of (Baugh) and the attempted murder of her boyfriend."
Copyright 2021 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company