Wisconsin father charged with murder: 'I’d never shoot my son'

June 18, 2019 09:05 PM

As his murder trial entered its second week, Kayle Fleischauer testified in St. Croix County Court late Monday afternoon that he didn't shoot his son.

The 43-year-old is charged with first-degree intentional homicide and being a felon in possession of a firearm.


Authorities say he shot and killed his 19-year-old son, Chase, a college student and Tartan High School graduate back in April 2018.

In court, Fleischauer was asked by his attorney, Earl Gray, about that night at his Richmond Township home.

"Did you shoot your son?” Gray questioned.

"No, I'd never shoot my son," Fleischauer said.

St. Croix County investigators say the fatal bullet was fired from a gun more than 18 inches from Chase's head, and the gun was discovered more than 10 feet away from the body down a hall.

The defense says Chase accidentally shot himself. Their experts testified Monday that no gunshot residue was found on Kayle's hands, but was instead found on Chase’s when authorities tested hours later.

Fleischauer said he invited his adult daughter and Chase over for dinner, which included beer and hard liquor.

He had trouble recalling some of the evening when asked in court by the District Attorney’s team.

Defense lawyers asked Kayle if there was any anger with his son, Chase.

"No, I loved my son," said Fleischauer.

RELATED: 911 tape captures chilling moments sister found wounded brother

The father told the court he was asleep in his room when he heard the gunshot, and then found his son bleeding and his daughter trying to help in the kitchen.

"I gave her a hug to comfort her, and she was still, franticly trying to get to brother," said Fleischauer. "I went over and laid on my son, and said goodbye to him.”

Fleischauer also said he was in shock and couldn't figure out to use his cellphone when his daughter asked for it to call 911.

Last week, his daughter, Somer, testified her father wouldn't give her the phone to call for help and didn't immediately provide his address so she could get EMS to the scene.

The 911 tape showed it was around 6 minutes into the call before Kayle Fleischauer provides an address.

Fleischauer told the court he asked police not to take photos at the scene.

Prosecutors said he exposed himself to police investigators who were trying to question him at the scene.

"I probably became unruly," said Fleischauer.

Prosecutors also said Chase had bruises on his neck, arm, back of ear, and a lengthy scratch on his neck from what was a "beating" from his father.

The defense contended the two were just wrestling.

Editor's Note: The copy has been corrected to state Kayle Fleischauer lived in Richmond Township rather than New Richmond Township. 

Connect with KSTP

Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.


Eric Chaloux

Copyright 2019 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


5 INVESTIGATES: Juul recruited U of M researcher as vaping controversy intensified

Private schools, law firms among biggest PPP loan recipients in Minnesota

Police: 12-year-old shot in Minneapolis following road rage incident

Warm weather, scattered storms expected Tuesday

Twins open season July 24 at White Sox, feature 7 home games vs. Indians

New rules: Foreign pupils must leave US if classes go online