Updated: May 31, 2020 03:32 PM
Created: May 31, 2020 07:41 AM
Sunday, Gov. Tim Walz, state and community leaders addressed Minnesotans following the second night of curfew in the Twin Cities.
During the news conference, Walz thanked all who participated in implementing safety measures during an "incredibly complex, incredibly difficult" Saturday night.
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter echoed that message of thanks.
Frey stated that the overarching mission Saturday was the preservation of life, preservation of property and restoration of order. Frey and Carter both thanked everyone who stayed home, to allow law enforcement to "reclaim a sense of peace, calm and order," as Carter stated.
Both mayors said there is much work to be done moving forward.
"Right now is a moment of deep soul searching for our community," Carter said.
The previous few nights had caused destruction in Minneapolis and St. Paul as riots overwhelmed the cities in the aftermath of George Floyd's death.
Meanwhile, Minnesota Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington stated that rioters who caused destruction to the Twin Cities "had speed and a tactical advantage over us in the early days of last week."
However, Harrington said members of the DPS, sheriff's deputies, intel analysts, fire department officials, EMS and members of the Minnesota National Guard all came together for a new approach Saturday night.
Through this approach, Harrington said authorities were able to be pre-stationed at various points thoughout the Twin Cities, receiving information and responding accordingly.
"We worked the intel, we worked with the community," Harrington said, adding that curfews were implemented and used effectively.
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety said over 155 people have been arrested since yesterday and overnight, as law enforcement restored some order to the Twin Cities after strong violence and unrest the previous four nights.
DPS added the number will likely increase as jails book more suspects. Officials say arrests included curfew, weapons, narcotics and rioting. Troopers also confiscated seven firearms and the Minneapolis Police Department confiscated five.
According to arrest information released Sunday afternoon by the St. Paul Police Department, there were 15 arrests overnight Saturday into Sunday in St. Paul. Of those arrests, eight were curfew violation arrests, five were possession of a firearm without a permit arrests, one was a felon in possession of a firearm arrest, and one was a combination of curfew violation, reckless driving and weapons possession arrest. Of those arrested, four were from Minneapolis, seven were from St. Paul, one was from Blaine, one was from St. Michael and two were from unknown locations.
Walz said the situation Saturday night was "an incredibly difficult mission," adding that "we're not done yet."
Walz has announced curfew orders will be extended in both Minneapolis and St. Paul. The curfew will take effect at 8 p.m. Sunday and will be lifted at 6 a.m. Monday. During the curfew, nobody is allowed to travel on Minneapolis or St. Paul streets or public places, except for first responders, members of the media, people going back and forth to work, individuals seeking emergency care or fleeing danger, and people experiencing homelessness.
Major road closures will also return. Additional information is expected to be released later Sunday on that point.
The Minnesota National Guard will also remain on hand to ensure peace and safety remain in the Twin Cities.
"I'm going to ask the leaders again, to ask those folks to stay home after 8 p.m., to ask them to give us the space, and we are going to not allow our streets to be turned into chaos," Walz said. "We are going to be smart with our forces out there and, of course, continue to monitor the situation."
Copyright 2020 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company