July 26, 2017 09:28 AM
By the time football preseason rolls around next month, Monterrey Security will still be at the helm of security operations at U.S. Bank Stadium. Whether it will still be licensed to handle operations for the Super Bowl won't be determined for another 60 days.
There are hundreds of Monterrey Security employees who oversee any event at U.S. Bank Stadium. They are ticket takers and security officers, among other positions, and all of their credentials are currently under review by the Minnesota Board of Private Detectives and Professional Agency Services.
"We are looking at the numbers and the credentialing of around 1,000 people to make sure that all the ducks are in a row," said board chair Richard Hodsdon.
"We do believe we're in compliance and are eligible for renewal right now," said David Aafedt, the attorney representing Monterrey Security.
RELATED: MSFA Launches Internal Audit of Security Company at U.S. Bank Stadium
Monterrey submitted all required paperwork to the board that oversees its license just days before being up for renewal. The Board of Private Detectives and Professional Agency Services granted the Chicago-based security firm contingency status, or a two month extension on its license, while state employees review the files and determine if there was any wrongdoing.
"That's got to play it's course," Hodsdon said when asked about the controversy surrounding allegations of fraud against the company.
Sources have told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that Monterrey hired people with serious criminal convictions and gave them security clearances. The FBI is investigating the company.
"I'm very proud of the fact that we've been able to hire people from Minnesota," said Monterrey Security President and CEO Juan Gaytan to the board on Tuesday. "I'm prepared to answer any question that the board may have for us."
The board didn't ask any questions because it hasn't had enough time to review all employees working at U.S. Bank Stadium. Gaytan declined to take any questions from 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS.
Whether Monterrey will still be in charge of security during the Super Bowl depends not only on its licensing status, but also on what the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority wants to do.
MSFA leaders have previously asked the board to notify them immediately if it finds anything during the renewal process.
If any red flags are found, the board can impose monetary penalties, suspend Monterrey for a period of time or revoke its license, a rare step. The board has only revoked two licenses out of the 355 license holders since 2015.
The MSFA issued a statement in an email to 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS:
"We take these allegations very seriously. SMG, the stadium operator, has begun an independent review of Monterrey's personnel policies and procedures and the MSFA is part of that review. SMG has assured us that we have a backup plan in the case that Monterrey's license is not renewed."
Updated: July 26, 2017 09:28 AM
Created: July 25, 2017 05:15 PM
Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company