5 Treated for Possible CO Poisoning at Eveleth Nursing Home

Crews respond to a CO call at the Fitzgerald Nursing Home and Rehab. Photo: Northland Fire Wire
Crews respond to a CO call at the Fitzgerald Nursing Home and Rehab.

December 31, 2017 03:24 PM

Authorities say five people were treated for possible carbon monoxide poisoning at a nursing home in northern Minnesota.

The Eveleth Fire Department says a staff member reported suspected carbon monoxide at the Fitzgerald Nursing Home and Rehab on Sunday morning. Eveleth Fire Chief Scott Haas says it was likely due to the smell of exhaust in the building.

Advertisement

RELATED: With 7 Deaths, Experts Encourage Fire Safety During Winter Months

Haas says two residents and three staffers were taken to a hospital as a precaution. The fire chief says there were no readings of carbon monoxide in the building.

WDIO-TV reports the cause may have been a generator that wasn't venting properly.  Minnesota Energy was called to the scene.

The scene was cleared and people were able to return by midmorning.

Credits

The Associated Press

(Copyright 2017 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Advertisement

Cannon Falls Cleans Up After Destructive Storms

Saturday to Start Chilly, Giving Way to Comfortable Afternoon

Officials Have Plans to Improve All-Natural, Oft-Closed Webber Pool in Minneapolis

GOP, Kavanaugh Accuser in Standoff Over Her Senate Testimony

Minneapolis Looks to Solve Flash Flooding Issues on North Side

Residents in Morristown Help Each Other Pick Up After Tornado

Advertisement