Advertisement

Settlement talks break down in Jamar Clark civil case

May 21, 2019 06:16 PM

The family of Jamar Clark and the city of Minneapolis met again Tuesday to discuss a wrongful death lawsuit.

So far, no settlement has been reached between the two sides. 

Advertisement

The family filed the civil suit against the city, claiming Minneapolis police violated Clark's rights when they shot and killed him back in November of 2015. 

Both sides met privately for several hours Tuesday, but couldn't come to an agreement, and this case appears to be going to trial. Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey believes there could be more negotiations.

"We are in the process of trying to come to a resolution in the best interest of everyone and the city," said Mayor Frey. "While the court schedule will continue we could also continue with those discussions."

24-year-old Jamar Clark was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer in 2015. The officer, who was cleared, claimed Clark was reaching for his gun during a struggle in North Minneapolis. Clark's family claims he was the victim of excessive force and two years have passed without any resolution since filing a civil rights lawsuit.

On Monday, members of the community demanded that Clark's family receive $20 million, the same amount that Justine Damond Ruszczyk's family recieved after the murder conviction of former officer Mohamed Noor.

RELATED: Jamar Clark advocates call for $20 million settlement in his death

An attorney representing the family says they did in fact ask for $20 million, but they say the city rejected that and didn't even offer a counter.

"It's been a long time since this happened and this keeps it fresh in their mind. This is a tragedy and so having to relive it all the time is hard for them but they're in good spirits, they want a resolution, they're willing to keep going, they want to see some justice," said David Suro, an attorney representing Jamar Clark's family. 

City Council would still need to vote on any potential settlement.

Connect with KSTP


Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.

Credits

Brett Hoffland

Copyright 2019 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement

Man arrested in connection to vandalism of East African-owned businesses in Minneapolis

Colt suspends production of AR-15 for civilian market

Gov. Walz, tribal leaders launch task force aimed at helping Native American women

Minnesota Senate GOP unveils insulin affordability bill

Warning for parents at day cares after car break-ins across metro

Advertisement