Deputy Shot with Arrow, Suspect Injured and in Custody Following Sauk Centre Standoff

September 13, 2018 10:19 PM

A man was injured in an officer-involved shooting Thursday in Sauk Centre after a Stearns County sheriff's deputy was shot in the arm by an arrow, according to Stearns County Sheriff Don Gudmundson.

Gudmundson said the suspect - identified only as a  31-year-old man from the Osakis area - was taken to St. Cloud Hospital to have his injuries treated. The sheriff's deputy, identified as Paul Orvis, suffered injuries that are not considered life-threatening.


The sheriff said the stolen pickup from Osakis was driven into Sauk Centre shortly after 10 a.m. Gudmundson said the vehicle struck a building, drove through backyards and struck parked cars. 

"He goes through a residential neighborhood, people call and they get there and he's just ahead, I think he smashes through a gazebo," Gudmundson said.

“We're very lucky no one was out,” said Deb Metcalf. The truck drove directly though her backyard, where her young grandson is often outside playing.

The truck then smashed into a garage on 10th Street, where the suspect then ran into the home. Gudmundson said no one was in the home at the time. 

When officers from the Stearns County Sheriff's Department, Sauk Centre Police Department, Minnesota State Patrol, Melrose Police Department and Osakis Police Department tried to clear the home, the suspect appeared with a compound bow and shot Orvis through the left arm with a target arrow.

The bow belonged to the homeowner. 

Gudmundson said officers fired their weapons, striking the suspect multiple times. The sheriff said the suspect suffered wounds to the shoulder, buttocks and hand. 

"How many homes in rural Minnesota you go in that aren't filled with weapons rifles and pistols?" Gudmundson said. "And there were none in this home except the compound bow. And yet he used it to shoot our deputy."

Negotiators started speaking with the suspect from the downstairs of the home. He told authorities he had been shot. Gudmundson said after two hours, the suspect appeared at the top of the stairs, where authorities tased him and took him into custody. 

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension will investigate the shooting of the suspect. The St. Cloud Police Department will investigate the assault of Orvis. 


Katherine Johnson, Matt Belanger and Ben Rodgers

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


Wild season ends w/ Game 4 loss to Canucks 11 seconds into OT

Judge rules public allowed to see officers' body camera footage in Floyd case

Tight on quarters: Businesses, banks scramble as pandemic causes coin shortage

What voters need to know before Tuesday's primary

Police: Leader of Bloomington mosque attacked while heading to prayer