Prince Files: Rock Star's Computer was Accessed, Prior to Police Seizing It

April 20, 2018 06:20 PM

Files and e-mails from Prince’s computer may have been deleted before investigators took control of it, according to documents released in the case.

RELATED: Data Made Public Includes Video, Photos of Prince after He was Found Unresponsive at Paisley Park

Advertisement

Detectives left the computer at Paisley Park for days after clearing the scene.

Buried deep in the documents released by the Carver County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday are allegations of someone connected to Prince destroying files on his computer.

For four days after Prince’s death, investigative documents reveal that the computer next to Prince’s bed sat at Paisley Park available for anyone to use – and perhaps – destroy.

“I think they made a few mistakes,” Joe Daly, Criminal Law Professor at Mitchell Hamline School of Law, said. “Even the investigator in the affidavit admits he probably made a mistake. He wishes he had taken the computer.”

The investigators wrote that he “…regretted not taking the computer by the bedside of Nelson, as I believed that this contained conversations between his staff and Nelson about medications possibly…”

According to the police documents, family members at the time alleged that people close to Prince were “shredding papers” and “deleting files off Prince’s computer.”

A search warrant for one of Prince’s e-mail accounts revealed that “content had been deleted.”

“If they knew they were intentionally impeding an police investigation, that is a crime. You are obstructing justice,” Daly said.

RELATED: No Criminal Charges in Superstar Prince's Fentanyl Overdose Death

However, he adds it also could be perfectly legal.

After all, according to the records, police left the computer there and Daly said people with access could have deleted private files that they felt were not related to the case.

Prince’s computers became an important piece of evidence since he died from counterfeit painkillers laced with fentanyl and it remains unclear where those drugs came from.

Again, nobody is facing charges in connection with his death.

KSTP reached out to Carver County for comment, but the station has yet to hear back from anyone.

RELATED: Investigator Regretted Not Immediately Collecting Prince's Laptop, Evidence Shows

Credits

Ryan Raiche

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement

Use of Force Expert Weighs in on Fatal St. Paul Police Shooting Body Cam Footage

St. Paul Police Release Body Camera Footage in William Hughes Shooting

Warm Weather Likely Saturday, Cool Front Expected

Pillsbury Mansion, Once Minnesota's Most Expensive Home, Now Slated for Demolition

Waite Park Residents say They Were Held Hostage as Home was Ransacked

Authorities: Missing Wisconsin Teen May Be in Minnesota

Advertisement