August 28, 2018 11:21 AM
The family of Minnesota rock legend Prince, who died of a fentanyl overdose in 2016, has officially filed their lawsuit against medical companies and a doctor they say failed to treat his addiction and provided narcotics without a proper prescription.
Court records show the lawsuit was filed in Hennepin County last week. It names Iowa Health System (UnityPoint), the parent company of the Illinois hospital that treated Prince days before his death, Walgreens, North Memorial Health Care and Dr. Michael T. Schulenberg as defendants.
Walgreens is named because the lawsuit alleges Prince received prescription medications from two Walgreens locations in Bloomington and Minnetonka in the days prior to his death on April 21, 2016. North Memorial is named because Schulenberg was an employee when Prince allegedly received health care services from him in the days leading up to his death.
"All of the defendants had an opportunity and a duty during the weeks before Prince's death to diagnose and treat Prince's opioid addiction, and to prevent his death," the lawsuit alleges. "They failed to do so."
The family had previously filed suit against the Illinois hospital where Prince was treated after an emergency landing just days before he died, and the Wagreens locations. But John Goetz, an attorney representing the family in that lawsuit, told ABC News last week that the plan was to dismiss that lawsuit and proceed with this new action in Minnesota.
Paul Peterson, Schulenberg's attorney, said last week that the new lawsuit is without merit.
"We understand this situation has been difficult on everyone close to Mr. Nelson (Prince) and his fans across the globe," Peterson said in a statement to ABC News. "Be that as it may, Dr. Schulenberg stands behind the care that Mr. Nelson received. We intend to defend this case."
This story has been edited to correct legal terminology.
Updated: August 28, 2018 11:21 AM
Created: August 27, 2018 04:40 PM
Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company