Updated: October 09, 2019 02:11 PM
President Donald Trump's campaign says the rally that is scheduled for Thursday at Minneapolis' Target Center has been fully approved and that the campaign will not pay additional charges for security costs.
Brad Parscale, the president's campaign manager, issued the following statement Tuesday afternoon:
"The arena in Minneapolis has been fully approved. The Target Center has backed off canceling the contract, which means President Trump's Keep America Great rally will go on as scheduled. Consistent with our original agreement with the venue, the Trump campaign has not agreed to pay any additional funds."
The arena in Minneapolis is fully approved. Looking forward to seeing you Thursday. It is going to be huge! pic.twitter.com/7fjF41gyoD— Brad Parscale (@parscale) October 8, 2019
The announcement came after the president's campaign had earlier said the city told Target Center it was responsible for $530,000 in security and other costs related to the event, and Target Center attempted to pass the costs on to Trump's campaign. The campaign said Target Center threatened withholding use of the area if the campaign didn't pay the costs.
The campaign said it informed Target Center that the U.S. Secret Service is responsible for coordinating security, and withholding the use of the arena would be breach of contract and that it would take legal action if withheld.
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey issued the following statement after the campaign announced the rally had been approved:
"My position with respect to the operating costs remains unchanged: in keeping with our contract with AEG, taxpayers should be reimbursed for city-incurred costs resulting from the president's visit. In the days ahead, I will be meeting with city leadership and my council colleagues to decide upon the appropriate path forward."
On Tuesday morning, Trump retweeted his campaign manager, who called Frey radical and accused him of abusing his power to block the president's supporters from seeing him.
In his retweet, Trump added, "The lightweight mayor is hurting the great police and other wonderful supporters. 72,000 ticket requests already. Dump Frey and Omar! Make America Great Again!"
The lightweight mayor is hurting the great police and other wonderful supporters. 72,000 ticket requests already. Dump Frey and Omar! Make America Great Again! https://t.co/ibTqvSbsbn— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 8, 2019
Frey later responded, "Yawn... Welcome to Minneapolis where we pay our bills, we govern with integrity, and we love all of our neighbors."
Yawn... Welcome to Minneapolis where we pay our bills, we govern with integrity, and we love all of our neighbors. https://t.co/v1cXvoD9uR— Jacob Frey (@Jacob_Frey) October 8, 2019
During a press conference Tuesday afternoon, Frey discussed the issue.
"It's not extortion to expect that somebody pay their bills, even when they don't really want to pay their bill," Frey said. "It is my job to watch out for the taxpayers of the city of Minneapolis and honestly, that is something the president should be doing as well."
While speaking to the media, Frey said his decision to bill the Trump campaign for security and public works services "is not a political decision."
Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo released a statement regarding security for the rally, stating that MPD "will be focused on our primary responsibility to ensure the public safety of ALL who will participate in practicing their first amendment rights which include Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press, and Peaceable Assembly."
MPD said its plan includes a highly visible and robust police presence in and around Target Center. Because larger than normal crowds are expected, MPD said both vehicular and pedestrian traffic will be significantly reduced around the arena for public safety reasons.
MPD added that criminal conduct by anyone, including property damage, won't be tolerated, and anyone who violates the law will be arrested and charged to the full extent of the law.
Republican Party of Minnesota Chairwoman Jennifer Carnahan issued the following statement Tuesday:
"Last night, Mayor Frey took yet another step to stifle the voices of Minnesota Republicans looking to show their support for our President. This move highlights the fact that liberal Democrats cannot handle the outpouring of support for President Trump, his successes in office, and his message of making America great again, and their only course of action is to silence the opposition. It was bad enough for Frey to say the President of the United States is not welcome in his city, but it is simply outrageous that Democrats are now choosing to trample on the First Amendment rights of Minnesotans. This abuse of power would set a dangerous precedent in what is supposed to be the freest country in the world."
Updated: October 09, 2019 02:11 PM
Published: October 08, 2019 12:00 AM
Copyright 2019 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company