BCA: St. Paul police shoots man in North End neighborhood; no officers injured

BCA: St. Paul police shoots man in North End neighborhood; no officers injured Photo: KSTP .

Updated: November 29, 2020 10:22 PM
Created: November 28, 2020 09:56 PM

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) is investigating after a St. Paul police officer shot a man on Saturday night. 

According to the City of St. Paul, at around 9:15 p.m. on the 1000 block of Rice Street, officers had been looking for the man connected to a domestic incident and vehicle crash that happened about an hour and a half earlier near the intersections of Rice Street and Maryland Avenue West. 

The release stated that officers eventually found him hiding in a dumpster in an alley behind a funeral home on Street. The preliminary information gathered from supervisors called to the scene after the shooting indicates that officers attempted to talk the man out of the dumpster. They also deployed PepperBall, a powdered chemical that irritates the eyes and nose in a manner similar to pepper spray. 

According to police, at some point, the man climbed out of the dumpster and ran toward officers. Officers deployed Tasers and a K9 in an effort to stop him, and one officer shot the man, who was struck at least twice. Officers called for St. Paul Fire medics and rendered aid. 

No officers were injured and all who were involved in the incident will be placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure. 

The man shot is currently being treated at Regions Hospital and is in stable condition. 

The BCA will be investigating the incident.  At this time, no further details are currently available.

Copyright 2020 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook

MDH: 37 new COVID-related deaths, 1,529 new cases reported Saturday

Police investigating after stray bullet kills man in Willmar

Wisconsin reports record-high 128 COVID-19 deaths

Trump trial pending, McConnell calls it 'vote of conscience'

Brooklyn Park Police say man who held 7-year-old hostage came from Missouri