1 Remains in Custody, 2nd Person of Interest Cleared in Orono Lockdown Incident

February 22, 2018 07:35 PM

Police said Thursday one of the two people of interest in connection to the lockdown at Orono Schools following social media threats was found not to be associated with Wednesday's incident.

Authorities confirmed that one juvenile was taken into custody and is facing terroristic threat charges. Police said the investigation remains open as investigators look into additional charges for the suspect.


RELATED: One Juvenile Arrested After Police Say Threats of Shooting Caused Lockdown of Orono Schools

The second person of interest was interviewed and cleared. Police say they are no longer seeking suspects.

Orono Lockdown Timeline

Tuesday night - The school district said a concerning social media post is investigated, but determined not to be a threat.

Wednesday morning - At 10:57 a.m., Orono police are informed of a pair of social media posts threatening a shooting at the Orono schools at noon. That post, which authorities do not believe was connected to the one from Tuesday night, caused a lockdown that lasted for five hours.

Wednesday afternoon - One suspect is arrested. Police say he and a second person of interest - both students - had each been at Orono High School during the lockdown, which is eventually lifted allowing students to go home.

Thursday morning - Classes resume in the district.

Thursday afternoon - Orono police say the second person of interest has been determined to have had no connection to the incident and has been cleared.

Police were informed around 10:57 a.m. Wednesday of a pair of threats made on social media threatening a shooting at Orono schools at noon.

That led to a lockdown which lasted five hours. Orono Police Chief Correy Farniok said the suspect was holed up in Orono High School during the lockdown.

RELATED: Schools Across Minnesota Deal With Social Media Threats Day after Orono Lockdown

Students were released an hour after normal dismissal times after Farniok said the investigation determined the posts may have been sent from inside Orono schools.

Farniok said the juvenile that was arrested was not armed.

RELATED: Orono District Under Tight Security as Students Return Following Lockdown

Classes at Orono Schools resumed as normal Thursday. There was a police presence in each building, as well as a crisis team.


Ben Rodgers

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


Boater Missing in Lino Lakes Area Lake

Storm Cleanup Continues in Northfield, Cannon Falls

Towns Signs "Super-Maximum" Contract Extension to Remain with Timberwolves

Official First Day of Fall Brings Mild Sunshine

AP Source: Kavanaugh, Ford Agree to Testify on Thursday

Boil Water Advisory Issued for City of Hastings, E. coli Found