Advertisement

Minneapolis agrees to mediation in suit over Jamar Clark shooting

May 08, 2019 06:32 PM

UPDATE: 12:15 p.m.

Minneapolis city leaders have agreed to mediation to resolve a lawsuit filed by the family of a black man who was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer in 2015.

Advertisement

A federal judge had summoned city leaders to court Wednesday, after he learned that a settlement offer in the case of Jamar Clark had been rejected.

That rejection came the same day the City Council announced a $20 million settlement in the 2017 death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, who was white. She was killed by a police officer after she approached his squad car. That officer was convicted of murder.

Clark was shot in the head after a struggle with two officers. The county attorney declined to file charges.

An attorney for Clark's father said that he will also file motions in the case to resolve trustee issues.

"We did meet in close conference with the judge and the opposing party," Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said. "Both the parties and my colleagues on the City Council are in full agreement that we move forward in mediation." 


A federal judge in Minnesota has ordered city leaders in Minneapolis to appear in court Wednesday to discuss the status of a lawsuit over the police shooting of a black man in 2015.

Judge Michael Davis' order came soon after the city agreed to pay $20 million to settle a lawsuit over the 2017 death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond. Damond, who was white, was shot by a police officer when she approached his squad car minutes after calling 911.

Jamar Clark's Parents: Shooting 'Should've Never Happened'

That officer was convicted of murder.

The civil suit at issue now involves Jamar Clark, who was shot in the head after a struggle with two officers. The county attorney declined to charge the officers, saying that an investigation found that Clark was shot after trying to get an officer's gun.

KSTP's Joe Mazan reports the meeting Wednesday comes after the Minneapolis City Council rejected a settlement at last week's council meeting.

Mazan said the judge was holding a private meeting in his chambers with Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, Police Chief Medaria Arradondo and others to discuss the case.

Jury finds Mohamed Noor guilty on two counts

Connect with KSTP


Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.

Credits

Associated Press

(Copyright 2019 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Advertisement

Facing shortage of conservation officers, Minn. DNR is hiring

Philando Castile honored at community gathering

Several State Fair Express Park & Ride locations unavailable this year

Man found shot to death in Minneapolis apartment commons area

Special Olympics golfers set record turnout at state tournament

Clear skies slated for Monday

Advertisement