January 12, 2018 06:21 PM
A 71-year-old Norwood Young America woman died in a mobile home fire Thursday night, authorities say.
A release from the Carver County Sheriff's Department said Nancy Lee Green was found dead in the residence, located on the 400 block of Railroad Street East in Norwood Young America.
Sheriff's deputies received a report of a fire around 5:54 p.m. Thursday. The release states initial reports indicated an adult female, who was paralyzed and unable to move on her own, was inside the residence.
Green's daughter tells 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that her husband, Francis Green, tried to get her out of the burning home, but wasn't able to do it on his own.
"I told him he's got to be strong. He's got his kids, he's got his grandkids," said Fernando Andrade, whose brother lives next door.
Deputies who arrived on the scene observed the mobile home was fully engulfed in flames. Norwood Young America Fire and Rescue also responded. Fire departments from Hamburg, Cologne, Plato, Mayer and New Germany also assisted.
Two firefighters were treated for what were termed as non-life threatening injuries sustained while battling the blaze.
Officials believe the fire was accidental, based on preliminary investigation. The release said residents had been thawing frozen pipes under the mobile home with a kerosene heater, which is where the fire is believed to have started.
The matter remains under investigation.
Updated: January 12, 2018 06:21 PM
Created: January 12, 2018 02:54 PM
Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company