2 Dogs Save Family as Fire Destroys Hudson Home

August 27, 2017 10:42 PM

A family that survived a harrowing fire at their North Hudson home said their two dogs saved them.

Michelle and Scott Such said their home caught fire around 5:30 a.m. Sunday, and that their dogs alerted them before smoke alarms went off.

Advertisement

"The dogs woke us up, or woke up my husband, and he woke me up," said Michelle Such. "And by the time I was outside, the house was already engulfed in flames."

Her husband Scott said the dogs became heroes because he awoke to their barking. When he went downstairs, he saw flames and smoke barreling toward him.

"They saved our lives, without question," Scott Such said. "Because they were both sitting on top of me facing toward the fire, barking at it, and I would not have gotten up in time because I saw flames already spreading through the house."

Buddy and Sadie are the two family dogs credited with saving the lives of Scott and Michelle Such.

"Firefighters told me the fire was moving so fast, and the smoke was literally flowing into our bedroom like a chimney," Scott Such said. "And they said if we had slept just a little longer we might not have made it out."

Buddy survived the fire, but unfortunately, the Such family said, Sadie did not make it out of the house in time and died inside the home.

"I tried to go back inside to get Sadie once I realized Michelle and Buddy were outside, but when I broke open the front door, the smoke and heat blew me back outside onto the front steps," Scott Such said.

Michelle Such said she was particularly close with Sadie because she was a Valentine's Day gift from Scott several years ago. She fought back tears as she talked about her friend.

"Sadie was always there for me when I was going through cancer treatments almost two years ago," Michelle Such said. "And I just feel so sad because I could not be there for Sadie when she needed me."

The Such family said the fire at the home on the 1200 block of 9th Street is under investigation, but also that firefighters told them they thought the hot spot was on the back porch next to an electrical outlet.

"They told me they think there could have been a short in the outlet that started the fire," Scott Such said. "We are grateful that we are alive and Buddy made it out, but it is hard knowing Sadie did not make it."

Friends of the family have established a GoFundMe page to help the Such family and honor Sadie.

Credits

Jay Kolls

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement

Metro area residents, plow drivers work to clear snow after storm

Sun returns Thursday, but more snow headed our way

DOC offers rare look inside prison facility in Moose Lake

New record set during Wednesday snowstorm, side streets especially challenging for motorists

KSTP Sports 2019 Girls State Hockey Tourney Central

Fire guts ancient part of Bangladesh's capital, killing 81

Advertisement