Noor Doesn't Enter Plea in Justine Damond Shooting During Court Appearance

March 26, 2019 09:27 AM

The former Minneapolis police officer who shot and killed Justine Damond last summer after she called 911 to report a possible assault was in court Tuesday morning. 

Mohamed Noor did not enter pleas to charges of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.


Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Amy Sweasy said that prosecutors have been providing evidence to the defense as part of discovery. Sweasy told Hennepin County Court Judge Kathryn Quaintance that no plea negotiations are underway.

The hearing lasted less than five minutes.

Noor was charged in March in connection to the fatal shooting of Justine Damond on July 15 of last year.

Noor's attorney had filed documents in April indicating Noor will plead not guilty.

RELATED: Noor Charged in Damond Shooting; Chief Says Officer No Longer With Department

If convicted of third-degree murder, he could face a maximum of 25 years in prison. A judge could issue a sentence ranging from about 10 ½ to 15 years. The second-degree manslaughter charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo announced Noor was no longer with the department after the charges were filed.

Prosecutors say Noor was in a squad car's passenger seat when he shot Damond through the open driver's side window after she approached the vehicle. Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman has said there was no evidence Noor encountered a threat that justified using deadly force.

The Associated Press contributed to this story

Timeline of Justine Damond Shooting

Connect with KSTP

Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.


Frank Rajkowski

Copyright 2019 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


The Latest: Sondland at odds with others on Ukraine meeting

General Motors files lawsuit against Fiat Chrysler, alleges union bribes

UPDATE: Owner opting to euthanize pit bulls that attacked 11-year-old in Maplewood

Minneapolis police investigating report of missing 29-year-old man

Heavy chains found wrapped around cornstalks in Hutchinson field