Minnesota Red Cross Volunteers Push Through Rains, Flooding in North Carolina

September 15, 2018 11:08 PM

The Minnesota chapter of the American Red Cross said it now has dozens of volunteers on the ground in response to hurricane-turned-tropical storm Florence.

Advertisement

That number has increased significantly from earlier in the week, according to spokesperson Carrie Carlson-Guest. 

RELATED: Minnesota Red Cross Volunteers Head to East Coast for Hurricane Florence

"We're only a few days into our Hurricane Florence response and already have 53 volunteers and two Emergency Response Vehicles deployed," Carlson-Guest said in an email Saturday.

Cindy Krueger, from Hastings, was one of the first volunteers on the ground. She's based at a headquarters location in Durham.

"We have a lot of things that were pre-staged and out to the places before the storm hit," Krueger said. "We've moved many, many box trucks to move people and supplies and more will be added to that."

Krueger said the Minnesota contingent goes around the clock, organizing a response and helping in evacuation shelters.

"Everybody's working, working, working, very very hard, very long days and nights," Krueger said.

But sometimes, even the best-laid plans go awry.

"Yesterday, I spent the whole day hunkered down in a motel with the rest of my team," Krueger said, after explaining the storm had moved into their area unexpectedly.

"The power would go out and on, but we kept watching, we kept talking with each other about what the situation was like," she said.

Her team got the all-clear Saturday morning and went back to work.

She expects to be in North Carolina for three weeks.

Credits

Kirsten Swanson

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement

Minnesota prepares to create 3,300 additional hospital beds for COVID-19 surge

Lawmakers consider expanding workers' comp for front line workers with COVID-19

Rent still due for renters during COVID-19 pandemic

FBI warning the public about 'Zoom-bombing' of video chats

White House projects 100K to 240K US deaths from virus

Advertisement