November 15, 2017 10:30 AM
The Minneapolis Police Department is responding to protesters who have stationed themselves at the 4th Precinct in Minneapolis since police fatally shot 24-year-old Jamar Clark early Sunday.
During an afternoon news conference, Harteau said protesters have the right to have their voices heard but that public safety is the "number one priority."
She added that bottles and rocks were thrown at officers and that "violence will not be tolerated."
However, while officers warned four women Wednesday that they would face arrest if they did not leave the building's vestibule, Harteau said officers have no plans to stop protests, so long as they are peaceful.
Meanwhile, Inspector Michael Friestleben said in addition to bottles and rocks being thrown, gunfire was investigated near the precinct. Friestleben said police cars have been damaged in the protests; one had its tires slashed and windows broken.
"Officers have remained calm and they've worked hard," Friestleben said about officers' responses to the protests.
He added that extra enforcement has been brought in to monitor and respond to the situation.
Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges, who was also at the afternoon news conference, said "emotions are running high in the community and they are running high for everybody in the city right now" and asked for patience with the investigation.
"It's important for the community to be able to move forward together effectively in the coming days and weeks and months," Hodges said.
Earlier in the day, protesters shouted at police as officers pulled down an awning at the 4th Precinct, located at 1925 Plymouth Ave. N.
Updated: November 15, 2017 10:30 AM
Created: November 18, 2015 05:08 PM
Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company