April 18, 2019 06:55 PM
During the State of the City, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey announced the Minneapolis Police Department will prohibit what he calls "fear-based" training.
Frey says officers who attend or instruct an external training regarding use-of-force must require approval from Chief Medaria Arradondo.
The announcement comes nearly a year after Arradondo pulled several officers out of a controversial training seminar called Bulletproof.
"We do not want to attend any training that could, in any way, shake the foundation of trust," Arradondo said at the time.
Bulletproof has been criticized for promoting overly-aggressive police tactics.
Instructors pushed back on that criticism last year saying the training, which previously included a seminar called "Bulletproof Warrior" is misunderstood and simply emphasizes communication and stress management.
More from KSTP:
On Thursday, Frey said such training is "rooted in fear-based warrior mentalities."
5 EYE WITNESS NEWS has reached out to Bulletproof instructors for comment on Frey's decision to outright ban such training but have not yet heard back.
Bulletproof generated controversy in 2016 after it became known that former St. Anthony Police officer Jeronimo Yanez had attended the training two years before he shot and killed Philando Castille. Yanez was later acquitted on all criminal charges.
After 5 EYE WITNESS NEWS found Bulletproof instructors were returning to Minnesota last May to hold training seminars at Mall of America, several departments, including the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office, prohibited their officers from attending.
St. Paul Police had previously banned officers from attending the Bulletproof training in 2016.
Joe Augustine and Eric Chaloux
Updated: April 18, 2019 06:55 PM
Created: April 18, 2019 12:50 PM
Copyright 2019 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company