Maple Grove man accused of killing mother, injuring father pleads guilty

Matthew George Witt Photo: Maple Grove Police Department
Matthew George Witt

Updated: January 13, 2020 05:53 PM

A Maple Grove man who was charged following an incident that left his mother dead and his father severely injured pleaded guilty Monday.

According to court records, Matthew George Witt pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree murder with intent - not premeditated, and one count of attempted second-degree murder with intent - not premeditated.  

According to the criminal complaint, officers responded on July 24 to a residence located on the 6600 block of Eagle Lake Drive North in Maple Grove on a response to a 911 call hang-up. When authorities knocked on the door, a man later identified as Matthew George Witt answered the door, covered in blood. Officers also noticed a motionless body on the floor inside the front door of the home. Witt then put his hands in the air and told the officers, "Take me to jail. I did it. I didn't kill them. They're alive. I let them live... They're hurt bad," or words to the effect. Authorities asked Witt to clarify who he was talking about, and he responded with "my parents."

Maple Grove man charged with 2 counts of second-degree murder after mother killed, father severely injured

After taking Witt into custody, officers then entered the residence and located two people. Inside the front door, officers found a woman later identified as Elizabeth Jane Witt. According to the complaint, she had appeared to have suffered severe head trauma and was not breathing. The officers also noted blood splatter on the walls near her body. Officers then attempted life-saving measures on the victim until paramedics arrived on the scene. Responding officers also found a man, later identified as George Baptiste Witt, on the floor of an upstairs bathroom. The complaint states he had bruises on his face and a laceration under his eye. He was also bleeding from his head, but he was conscious. 

Elizabeth Jane Witt was pronounced dead at the scene. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office, through a preliminary opinion, suggested she had died as a result of homicide.

Paramedics transported George Baptiste Witt to the hospital. He told police there that his son, Matthew George Witt, lived at the residence, and he has suffered from mental health problems. George told authorities they were at home when Matthew attacked him and Elizabeth. He said he believed his son had used methamphetamines. According to George, no weapons were used in the attack. He only could recall Matthew using his fists to harm them. The complaint alleges Matthew struck the two victims "all over."

Police also spoke to a witness, who said Matthew spoke with her the night of the incident, about 45 minutes before it occurred. She told authorities that Matthew had mentioned to her that he and his parents had not been getting along. He went on to say the victims' house and money "would be his someday" and specified "that day would be soon."

Connect with KSTP

Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.



Copyright 2020 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

21-year-old daughter of Allina Health CEO and Minnesota Supreme Court Justice found dead

Snowfall of 3-6 inches expected in Minnesota Saturday until Sunday with wind

Brooklyn Park declares snow emergency Saturday

Larry King, broadcasting giant for half-century, dies at 87

Body found on St. Paul road believed to be hit-and-run victim