Man Shot by Police at Minneapolis City Hall Charged in Connection to the Incident

Marcus Fischer Photo: Hennepin County
Marcus Fischer

March 02, 2018 02:12 PM

The man shot by police inside Minneapolis City Hall in December has been charged with four counts of assault in connection to the incident.

Now 19-year-old Marcus Fischer is charged with two counts of first degree assault (use of deadly force against a peace officer) and two counts of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon. 


RELATED: Fischer Makes First Court Appearance Since Being Shot at Minneapolis City Hall

Fischer was shot by police officers in an interrogation room on Dec. 18 after being questioned about a northeast Minneapolis shooting that occurred Dec. 13.

The officers had attempted to subdue Fischer after he began stabbing himself while left alone in the room, police say. The officers shot him after those attempts were unsuccessful.

According to the criminal complaint, Fischer asked for water, and the two officers who had been questioning him left the room to get it. After leaving, they discovered Fischer had allegedly reached into his trousers and pulled out a four-inch folding knife.

RELATED: Man Shot by Police in City Hall Charged in NE Minneapolis Shooting

The complaint alleges he opened the knife and began stabbing himself in the neck, then the chest. One of the officers yelled at him to drop the knife, but he reportedly refused. The other officer called for squad cars and an ambulance to assist.

The complaint states no one in police headquarters at the time possessed an electronic stun gun to incapacitate Fischer. One of the officers is reported to have continued to plead with him to drop the knife, which Fischer again refused to do. According to the complaint, another officer arrived on the scene and was able to retrieve a stun gun from the trunk of his squad car.

RELATED: Sources: Man Shot Inside City Hall is Main Suspect in Minneapolis Shooting

The officers devised a plan of entry, the complaint states. One of the officers planned to shoot Fischer with the stun gun while the others stood by to disarm him. But the complaint states after the stun gun made minimal contact with Fischer, he allegedly raised his knife and approached two officers in the doorway.

The complaint states Fischer was told repeatedly to drop his knife, yet he continued advancing, holding it over his head. When he reached a chair the officers had placed in front of the door, the complaint said two officers fired their weapons. Fischer then went to the floor where he was handcuffed and placed on a gurney.

RELATED: BCA IDs Man Shot by Police at City Hall

The complaint states in an interview at the hospital, Fischer reportedly recalled being pat searched twice before arriving in the interview room. He reportedly said he hid the knife in his trousers, and brandished it because he did not want to go to jail. He also allegedly admitted he knew when he came toward police, they would shoot him.

"Could've taken a better path," he is alleged to have said.

Fischer was charged two days after he was shot in connection to the Dec. 13 shooting. He  told police he helped rob a man who was shot during a botched gun deal, but that he wasn't the trigger man, according to that criminal complaint. 

RELATED: Source: 'Total Breakdown' in Protocol for Interrogation Suspect to Have Knife in City Hall

He faces one count of first-degree assault, one count of first-degree robbery and one count of firearm possession after being a delinquent convicted of a violent crime. All are felonies. He faces a maximum 55 years in prison and/or $95,000 in fines. 

RELATED: Police Officers Shoot, Critically Wound Suspect Inside Minneapolis City Hall



Frank Rajkowski

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


Charges Filed in Juvenile Court Against 12-Year-Old in Fatal Minnetonka Stabbing

Examiner Not Sure What Ultimately Caused Savanna Greywind's Death

Slick Commute Expected, Cool Weather on the Way