Man Charged with 2nd-Degree Murder in Stabbing That Left Victim Brain Dead

Bruce Fry Photo: Hennepin County
Bruce Fry

July 18, 2018 03:21 PM

A man charged with second-degree murder in a stabbing that left another man brain dead told authorities it was an act of self-defense, according to a criminal complaint.

Forty-seven-year-old Bruce Renault Fry was charged Wednesday and is in custody.


The complaint states police responded to an apartment complex on the 1100 block of South Eighth Street in Minneapolis last Friday after a 911 caller reported someone dead outside their apartment.

RELATED: Man Charged in Fatal Stabbing of Brother Pleads Guilty

On arrival, responders found an unresponsive man with a large laceration on his head lying in a pool of blood. The man was taken to Hennepin Healthcare.

According to the complaint,  surveillance video from the apartment complex shows the victim coming to the front door and buzzing a number. Later, a man identified by residents and the building manager as Fry comes to the door and is seen "exchanging words" with the victim through a glass door.

Fry then opens the door and approaches the victim, the video reportedly shows. The victim attempts to push him away and Fry allegedly stabs him in the forehead with a small knife.

RELATED: Charges: Man Stabbed Victim with Machete 8 to 10 Times in Farmington

The complaint states the video shows Fry making a stabbing motion toward the victim at least two more times. The victim then runs away with Fry following and both are off-camera until Fry reappears and runs up the staircase toward his third floor apartment.

Fry reportedly reappears 30 seconds later with a backpack and runs out the back door of the apartment building.

Residents told police there had been a verbal fight outside Fry's apartment earlier in the evening, and Fry often had "problem guests" over.

The victim's family told police Fry was dating someone related to the victim, and Fry had allegedly been showing naked pictures of the woman to multiple people.

RELATED: St. Paul Man Found Guilty of Stabbing Sister in Face, Neck

The family said the victim and his brother went to confront Fry earlier in the day, but Fry reportedly refused to answer the door. The victim went back later, and that's when the alleged assault occurred, according to the complaint.

The victim was rushed into surgery after the assault, and doctors discovered in addition to the forehead slash, he had a hole in his chest and his pericardium, which surrounds the heart, had been punctured. He was placed on life support but declared brain dead Monday. He is not expected to survive being taken off life support.

Fry was arrested Sunday near France Avenue South and 42nd Street. He was reportedly staying at an Airbnb in the area.

According to the complaint, Fry admitted to the stabbing, but said the victim attacked him first, and it was an act of self-defense. Fry also admitted he recently got done serving time for murder in another state.


Anthony Brousseau

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


Genital mutilation charges dismissed in Detroit-area case

Investigation into fatal officer-involved shooting in Stillwater underway

Light rain falling in North California could hurt search effort