Edison officials: Law enforcement called in after disturbance Monday morning

December 10, 2018 03:20 PM

The video above originally aired Sunday


Officials at Edison High School in Minneapolis said law enforcement was called in to join school staff and the school's resource officer in resolving a disturbance the school says was caused by two parents Monday morning.

Advertisement

A letter from Edison Principal Eryn Warne to families said a "code yellow" was called and students were kept in their classrooms.

"While this was an unfortunate incident, it was isolated and resulted from the poor choices of a few individuals," Warne's letter read. "At the same time, it comes on the heels of similar incidents last week, which gives us pause. We must keep working together to keep our school community safe for all."

The school's message does not mention any involvement of students in Monday's disturbance. But Minneapolis Police Sgt. Darcy Horn told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that "two juvenile females were transported to the Juvenile Unit and have been arrested for disorderly conduct and fifth-degree assault."

Horn's statement also said "one adult male was cited for obstructing the legal process and an adult female was cited for disorderly conduct."

The incident comes after parents of two students who were attacked in separate incidents at the school last week spoke out about a recent outbreak of violence among students.

RELATED: Parents speaking out after 2 violent assaults at Edison High School

Last Monday, the parents of a 15-year-old Edison student told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS their daughter was sent to the hospital with a concussion after three girls attacked her in the school's cafeteria. 

On Thursday, another 14-year-old Edison student was knocked unconscious by another student and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. The victim's parents told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS their daughter also suffered a concussion and has another brain scan this week.

RELATED: 2nd fight occurs at Edison High School in 1 week

Edison administrators and the Minneapolis School District said they could not comment on those incidents, citing student and family privacy laws.

Warne had said she would be reaching out to families about moving forward, and that the school does have safety measures and programs in place which are designed to keep students and staff safe.

RELATED: Minneapolis high school student sent to hospital after violent attack in cafeteria

Connect with KSTP


Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.

Credits

Jay Kolls and Frank Rajkowski

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement

8 Year-Old Big Lake Girl Raises Money for Family Devastated by Deadly House Fire

Two U of M Gopher wrestlers being held on suspicion of criminal sexual conduct

UPDATE: Body found in Lake George as part of search and recovery

Frazee father drowns saving child who fell from bridge in Detroit Lakes

Advertisement