Advertisement

Gov. Walz authorizes disaster assistance for northern Minnesota counties, tribal lands

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz speaks with reporters at the Capitol in St. Paul, Minn., Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2019, shortly after sending a letter to top legislative leaders asking them to convene a conference committee to negotiate the differences between competing House Democratic and Senate GOP insulin affordability plans. Photo: AP/ Steve Karnowski
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz speaks with reporters at the Capitol in St. Paul, Minn., Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2019, shortly after sending a letter to top legislative leaders asking them to convene a conference committee to negotiate the differences between competing House Democratic and Senate GOP insulin affordability plans.

Updated: January 08, 2020 02:16 PM

Wednesday, Gov. Tim Walz announced state disaster assistance for northern Minnesota tribal lands and counties following storms that occurred this past fall.

A release from the governor's office said the assistance will go to the Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Tribal Lands, as well as Carlton, Kittson, Lake of the Woods, Marshall and Roseau counties.

Advertisement

The Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Tribal Lands suffered damage following a severe thunderstorm with "hurricane force winds" on Oct. 12. The storm damaged a number of roads, as well as public facilities. A preliminary damage assessment found $253,535 in damages.

Between Sept. 20 and Oct. 17, Carlton, Kittson, Lake of the Woods, Marshall and Roseau counties suffered damage from heavy rain and flooding. A damage assessment identified $1.3 million in damages.

The State Disaster Assistance Contingency will cover 75 percent of the costs, while county and tribal governments cover the remaining 25 percent.

Connect with KSTP


Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.

Credits

KSTP

Copyright 2020 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement

Viewers beware: 'A perfect storm' of pandemic misinformation

Minnesota corn crop on pace for record yield, USDA data shows

More body camera video in George Floyd arrest made public

New Brighton man charged with tearing down, damaging Columbus statue in June

2-year-old in critical condition after shooting in Brooklyn Park

What happens if a student, parent or school is impacted by a positive COVID-19 test?

Advertisement