April 23, 2018 06:27 PM
"I heard a call for help, scanned the building and saw a dad coming out with his baby," North St. Paul Assistant Fire Chief Dustin Kalis said.
The video captured what is hard to imagine doing, and that's dropping your three-month-old baby off a second-story balcony.
But a North St. Paul dad said it was his only option.
The two were asleep Sunday afternoon when her crying woke him up.
He says by that time, there was too much smoke in the hallway of his apartment complex, so he knew to save her life, he'd have to drop her down to fire fighters.
Kalis said there was no time to react.
"He came out, baby in arms. I got underneath and said let her go, we're ready, he dropped her, I caught her, passed her off to another firefighter to check her out, and then he made his way down as we coached him down from the balcony as well," Kalis described.
Kalis said while rescuing people is part of the job, you don't practice catching people, and you don't go into a fire thinking you're going to be catching a baby from a balcony.
"I can't imagine what that dad was going through. I'm glad I could help out and it didn't get any worse and the outcome was good," Kalis said.
He said this also serves as a good reminder to get out of a home or business right away when fire alarms go off because time is of the essence.
Both dad and daughter are doing well, in fact, nobody was hurt.
5 EYEWITNESS NEWS has learned a candle burning in a first floor apartment likely started this fire that displaced many residents.
Updated: April 23, 2018 06:27 PM
Created: April 23, 2018 05:39 PM
Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company