Family, community mourns death of man shot, killed by police after chase in Richfield |

Family, community mourns death of man shot, killed by police after chase in Richfield

Updated: September 08, 2019 10:47 PM

One man is dead following a car chase and officer-involved shooting. In a joint news release, Edina and Richfield police departments said the pursuit began Saturday evening in Edina and ended near the intersection of 77th Street East and Chicago Avenue in Richfield at 10:22 pm.

Officers from both departments were involved, and none were injured, the release said.

"The Edina and Richfield Police Departments express our thoughts and prayers to all those involved in this tragic incident," representatives from the departments wrote.

Family members identified him as Brian Quinones.

A Facebook live video streamed Saturday night appears to show Quinones driving away from law enforcement. At one point, as Quinones gets out of the vehicle, what appears to be a knife is visible in his hand. 

Less than 20 seconds after he left the vehicle, officers shout commands and there are several gunshots.

The Facebook live stream then continues for more than an hour before someone is seen shutting it off. The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, which is leading the investigation, has not commented on the video. 

Edina Police released their own statement Sunday night, which said officers were confronted by a man with a knife.

Dozens of people from the community were at the scene shortly after the fatal encounter. There was a large police presence from several nearby departments that came in to help. 

More from KSTP:

Video captures wild Shootout in St. Paul

On Sunday, a memorial was growing along the busy Richfield street.

There was a moment of anguish on Sunday evening as Quinones' younger brother, Joshua, arrived.

“He didn't deserve it, he didn't deserve to leave the world like this,” said Joshua Quinones.

He said his brother lived just a couple blocks away from where he was killed and has a 12-year-old son.

“He was a musician, he was a barber, he was such a humble person,” said Joshua Quinones. “He just wanted to be heard.”

The 30-year-old was also working at General Mills.

Hassan Qarei worked with him for four years on the night shift.

“I lost my brother. He was my brother,” said Qarei. “A great person. Everybody in company loved him, he had a great heart.”

A large crowd gathered around the memorial, including Brian Quinones’ 12-year-old son and wife.

The vigil was hosted by Black Lives Matter Twin Cities Metro, Twin Cities Coalition for Justice 4 Jamar, Racial Justice Network and Justice 4 Cordale Handy, on Sunday night. They called for an end to police violence and demanded the names of the officers-involved be released.

Joshua Quinones said he talked to his brother earlier and knew something was wrong. When he saw the Facebook Live stream start, he tried to reach him again but was unable to.

He told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS his brother suffered from depression.

“He was just tired, he was just tired,” he said.

The Medical Examiner’s Officer determined Saturday night that Quinones death was a homicide; he died of multiple gunshot wounds.

“I’m just speechless of what happened,” said Joshua Quinones. “I just think they could've done better, at least tased him with a taser gun. But to shoot him between four police officers? That's just too much, that's just too much.”

Here is the full statement from the CIty of Edina:

“While the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate a Sept. 7 officer involved shooting, the City of Edina grieves alongside the family of the deceased, the officers involved and their families, and the Richfield and Edina communities.

On Saturday, Sept. 7 at 10:22 p.m., a police pursuit that began in Edina ended in an officer-involved shooting near the intersection of 77th Street East and Chicago Avenue in Richfield after a man confronted officers with a knife. The incident involved officers from the Edina and Richfield Police departments. No officers were injured during the incident.

The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation and will release more information after concluding interviews with witnesses. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office is expected to release more information about the deceased, including his name, in the coming days.

The City of Edina is fully cooperating with the Sheriff’s Office and requests the public’s patience as the investigation continues.

The Edina Police Departments chaplains are working with those involved during this difficult time.”

Stay with KSTP-TV and for the latest on this developing story

Connect with KSTP

Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.


Daren Sukhram & Callan Gray

Copyright 2019 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

13-year-old found dead in Lake Minnewashta in Chanhassen

Families camp out for hours for a glimpse at Aquatennial fireworks show

Fauci: CDC may back wearing face masks more

Patrons deal with the heat as Grand Carnivale premieres at Valleyfair

Red flag warning issued by NWS in northern Minnesota

Sparked by pandemic fallout, homeschooling surges across US