Advertisement

Eagan family saved by security system call

Updated: September 12, 2019 07:34 PM

An Eagan family's security system likely saved their lives.

They were asleep in the middle of the night back in August when dangerous carbon monoxide started seeping out of their water heater pipe.

Advertisement

But, thanks to a dispatcher at their security company – ADT – they got out in time.

The Klassens said they actually considered stopping their ADT service just one day before it happened.

"I was actually on the phone with ADT, we were going to pause our system for a couple months, and within 24 hours we had an incident, so someone was looking out for us, that's for sure," the Klassens said.

Reneshia Cason is a dispatcher for ADT. She's the one who called the Klassens at 1:30 a.m. that day to tell them they needed to get out of the house.

Andy Klassen picked up that call, and Cason said right away she could tell he was "out of it."

"This one was, like, serious, I knew it, I got chills. So I knew I had to not freak him out and just respond right away," Cason said.

Eagan police and firefighters responded that night and were there Thursday as everyone had the chance to meet and share this moment of gratitude.


According to the Minnesota State Fire Marshal, the number of carbon monoxide incidents statewide is on the rise.


Connect with KSTP


Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.

Credits

KSTP

Copyright 2019 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement

Winona County health department finds COVID-19 outbreak in Lewiston

Music brings connection during pandemic at Minneapolis nursing home

States on hook for billions under Trump's unemployment plan

What voters need to know before Tuesday's primary

US tops 5 million confirmed virus cases, to Europe's alarm

Advertisement