Dakota Access developer sues Greenpeace in state court

Dakota Access Pipeline work site Photo: KSTP/Matt Belanger
Dakota Access Pipeline work site

February 23, 2019 09:32 AM

The developer of the Dakota Access oil pipeline is going after the environmental group Greenpeace in state court in North Dakota, after a judge tossed the company's $1 billion racketeering claim out of federal court.


    
Texas-based Energy Transfer Partners on Thursday sued Greenpeace and several activists it also had targeted in the federal lawsuit that U.S. District Judge Billy Roy Wilson dismissed on Feb. 14. Wilson said he found no evidence of a coordinated criminal enterprise that had worked to undermine ETP and its pipeline project.
    
ETP had made claims under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and also under North Dakota laws. Wilson did not address the merits of the state claims.
    
ETP seeks "millions of dollars of damages" in the state lawsuit, which makes similar claims to its federal lawsuit - that Greenpeace and activists conspired to use illegal and violent means such as arson and harassment to disrupt pipeline construction and damage the company, all the while using the highly publicized and prolonged protest to enrich themselves through donations.
    
"Defendants thus advanced their extremist agenda ... through means far outside the bounds of democratic political action, protest, and peaceful, legally protected expression of dissent," company attorney Lawrence Bender wrote in the complaint.
    
Greenpeace on Friday had not yet been served with the lawsuit and declined to comment on its specifics. However, Greenpeace attorney Deepa Padmanabha said ETP "is clearly still trying to bully Greenpeace through the legal system."
    
"We are confident that this latest attempt to silence peaceful advocacy will receive the same fate as the last meritless attack," he said.
    
Groups and American Indian tribes who feared environmental harm from the pipeline staged large protests that resulted in 761 arrests in southern North Dakota over a six-month span beginning in late 2016. ETP maintains the pipeline is safe. It began moving North Dakota oil through South Dakota and Iowa to a shipping point in Illinois in June 2017.
   

Advertisement

Connect with KSTP


Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.

Credits

Associated Press

(Copyright 2019 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Advertisement

Man arrested in connection to fatal shooting in St. Paul

Stabbing at Owatonna Walmart leaves man hospitalized

Police: Car thefts up nearly 90% in Minneapolis over same time period last year

Woman injured in shooting near Target Field

Senate floor belongs to Trump team as defense case opens

Minnesota Department of Health: 2 possible cases of coronavirus sent to CDC for testing

Advertisement