Bankruptcy Court OKs Settlement for Clergy Sex Abuse Victims

September 25, 2018 06:07 PM

The video above is from a May 31 report.


A U.S. Bankruptcy Court judge has approved a reorganization plan for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis that will compensate victims of clergy sex abuse.

Advertisement

Judge Robert Kressel approved the $210 million settlement Tuesday. Hundreds of victims voted overwhelmingly in favor of the plan.

Attorney Jeff Anderson, who represented many of the victims, praised the survivors, saying their courage means children are safer.

Archbishop Bernard Hebda apologized in court. Hebda says he hopes the resolution "brings some measure of justice" to victims.

The settlement was reached in May . Proceeds will be disbursed after each claim is reviewed.

The archdiocese filed for bankruptcy in 2015, two years after the Minnesota Legislature opened a three-year window that allowed people who had been sexually abused in the past to sue for damages.


More from KSTP:

Church Abuse Victims Approve Plan for Compensation

Victims of Clergy Abuse Scheduled to Vote Soon on Archdiocese Reorganization Plan

Archdiocese Files New Reorganization Plan in $210M Bankruptcy Case Settlement


 

Credits

Associated Press

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement

China suspected in huge Marriott data breach, official says

Police in Minnesota face 'crisis' in recruiting

Federal investigators identify cause of Superior refinery explosion

'Tree of Hope' lit for missing teen Jayme Closs in Barron

St. Paul City Council approves 2019 budget

High school boys fighting in court to join dance teams

Advertisement