August 01, 2018 12:22 PM
The video above is from a July 27, 2016, report.
A Minnesota prosecutor is dropping charges against 17 people who protested the fatal shooting of black motorist Philando Castile in 2016.
Several had been scheduled for trial in mid-August. But St. Paul City Attorney Lyndsey Olson says she determined moving forward wasn't in the city's best interest.
The 17 were among 73 arrested outside the governor's official residence in July 2016 after law enforcement moved to break up a protest that had lasted nearly three weeks. Most of the 73 pleaded guilty to minor charges, but seven went to trial earlier.
Castile was shot after telling an officer he had a gun permit and was armed. The officer was acquitted.
Olson's announcement came just days after Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said he wouldn't charge two Minneapolis officers in the June fatal shooting of Thurman Blevins.
Updated: August 01, 2018 12:22 PM
Created: August 01, 2018 10:56 AM
Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company