1 dead after shooting in Northeast Minneapolis

June 11, 2019 10:10 PM

Police say one person has died after an unusual incident in Northeast Minneapolis. 

According to police, officers were called just before 4:50 p.m. on the report of a crash at NE 14th Avenue and Central Avenue, Northeast. A red Toyota Camry,with one person inside, was reported to have been crashed into a building.


When officers took a closer look, they realized the banged-up vehicle with a man behind the wheel, bleeding and barely alive. Police said the driver suffered multiple gunshot wounds. Officers, with the help of bystanders, began emergency first aid which included CPR.

Paramedics arrived on scene and the 39-year-old man was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center, according to Minneapolis police spokesman John Elder. Authorities later confirmed the victim had died. 

Authorities canvassed the crash scene and the area of 14th Avenue Northeast and Tyler Street, a block away where they located evidence of a shooting. Investigators said that's also where at least one suspect took off. 

The Minneapolis Police Department homicide unit arrived on the scene and initiated an investigation. Officers from the second precinct interviewed multiple witnesses who were in the area at the time of the shooting. The Minneapolis police crime lab arrived and processed the scene for evidence as well. K-9s were used to search the immediate area as well. Detectives spread out and checked with nearby businesses to see what and if anything their security cameras may have recorded. 

An autopsy by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner will reveal more about the nature of the cause of his death. His identity won't be released until police have notified his family that he didn't accidentally die, he was killed. 

Connect with KSTP

Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.


Ben Rodgers & Beth McDonough

Copyright 2019 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


ACLU sues Worthington Police Department alleging brutality during arrest

Texas officer charged with murder, resigns after shooting

Showers, cool weather likely Tuesday

Minnesota Historical Society holds meeting to receive input on Fort Snelling name change

St. Louis Park couple charged after 1-year-old overdoses on fentanyl

Fairmont hires outside investigator to look at city's role in expiring cases