Trump has no Plan to Block Scheduled Release of JFK Records

In this Nov. 22, 1963 file photo, President John F. Kennedy waves from his car in a motorcade in Dallas. Photo: AP/Jim Altgens, File
In this Nov. 22, 1963 file photo, President John F. Kennedy waves from his car in a motorcade in Dallas.

October 21, 2017 09:19 AM

Trump has no plan to block scheduled release of JFK records
President Donald Trump says he doesn't plan to block the scheduled release of thousands of never publicly seen government documents related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination.

Trump says in a tweet that "Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened."

Advertisement

The National Archives has until next Thursday to disclose the remaining files related to Kennedy's 1963 assassination.

But Trump could have blocked the release on the grounds that making the material public would harm intelligence, law enforcement, military operations or foreign relations.

The documents include more than 3,000 that have never been seen by the public and more than 30,000 that have been previously released, but with redactions.

 

Credits

Associated Press

(Copyright 2017 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Advertisement

Minneapolis Public Schools Supt. Gives Update Ahead of School Year Start

Pope on Sex Abuse: 'We Showed No Care for the Little Ones'

Big Lake Police: 18-Year-Old Oklahoma Man Charged in Connection to Assault of 7-Week-Old

This Week's Lane Closures Mark Start of I-35W Minnesota River Bridge Replacement Project

KSTP Traffic Round-Up: Crash on WB Hwy 610 Causes Significant Backups

Scattered Showers, Cooler Start to the Week

Advertisement