Updated: October 12, 2021 06:08 PM
Created: October 12, 2021 10:34 AM
Proctor High School head football coach Derek Parendo has resigned from teaching and coaching roles, the school board confirms with KSTP.
The Proctor School Board accepted the resignation during a meeting Monday.
"It's all consuming," Proctor Superintendent John Engelking said. The superintendent told board members on Monday night that he and the high school principal talk often about the investigation.
"Where we go, and the consequences that are being handed out not only at our school level, but the police investigation and where that investigation is going," the superintendent said.
The district reported the resignation will take effect at the end of the school year and added Parendo is on a personal leave of absence for the remainder of the school year.
Parendo's resignation is in the midst of an investigation into alleged serious misconduct involving the team.
"I had death threats, physical threats to me and the family. Kids were chanting my name in the school yard. Kids chanting my child's name," Parendo told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS, on his decision to step down.
"I wasn't even in Proctor when this alleged incident took place."
Last month, the district announced the football season's end in order for the district to properly investigate the allegations.
Engelking says changes are coming to the athletic programs at the school. New coaches and captains training programs are also being implemented as a part of the change. However, specifics about the investigation remain under wraps, as the superintendent stated they can't share much due to privacy laws.
Proctor city officials said they expect the police department to wrap up the investigation into the alleged misconduct by the end of the week.
Stay with 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS and KSTP.com for updates.
Copyright 2021 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company