Updated: May 20, 2020 08:35 PM
Created: May 20, 2020 04:02 PM
The National Sports Center (NSC) announced Wednesday that all scheduled tournaments and leagues, including the 2020 Target USA Cup, have been canceled through July.
"The decision was made to ensure the health and safety of our players, coaches, referees, employees, volunteers, and fans. Due to COVID-19, the safety risk, and the implications it has caused around the world, we are unable to host these events including the international youth soccer tournament this year," NSC said in a release.
The Target USA Cup is the third-largest youth soccer tournament in the world and makes up 20% of the center's annual revenue. Last year, more than 1,150 teams from 22 states and 20 countries participated in the event.
“For 35 years Target USA CUP has been known for being much more than just a soccer tournament. The international flare from players and referees, the variety of activities around campus during the week, pin trading and our Opening Ceremonies event all help to create our one-of-a-kind experience,” said Todd Johnson, Executive Director of the National Sports Center. “In addition to safety, we knew that it would be impossible for us to create an event with the caliber of activities and offerings that our players have come to look forward to year after year.”
NSC said it's looking forward to welcoming teams and fans back for a bigger and better event in 2021.
NSC will continue to rent its facilities to outside renters to use a practice and training facilities in June and July.
Copyright 2020 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company