Walz again requests federal help to rebuild after unrest | KSTP.com

Walz again requests federal help to rebuild after unrest

Gov. Tim Walz speaks during a news conference at the Department of Public Safety in St. Paul, Minn. on Saturday, May 23, 2020. Photo: Evan Frost /Minnesota Public Radio via AP. Gov. Tim Walz speaks during a news conference at the Department of Public Safety in St. Paul, Minn. on Saturday, May 23, 2020.

Associated Press
Updated: August 03, 2020 05:49 PM
Created: August 03, 2020 04:50 PM

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is again asking for federal help to rebuild from the unrest that followed George Floyd's death.

Walz said Monday he has requested a U.S. Small Business Administration disaster declaration that would free up low-interest loans to help property owners rebuild.

"We remain committed to working with the impacted communities to restore their vitality in the wake of this damage," Walz said in a statement.

Last month Walz had asked President Donald Trump to declare a "major disaster" in a request to the Federal Emergency Management Agency because of extensive damage to public infrastructure following the death of Floyd. Floyd died on May 25 after a white Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee against the handcuffed Black man's neck for nearly eight minutes. The federal government denied that request. The Democratic governor is appealing that decision.

Nearly 1,500 business were damaged in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, Walz said. Current damage estimates exceed $500 million.


(Copyright 2020 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comment on Facebook

St. Paul police report seven overdoses in 24 hours, remind residents of how to help

3rd tornado confirmed in south metro amid Friday storms

Woman critical after shooting in north Minneapolis Saturday evening

4-year-old girl killed by falling tree branch in Mankato identified

2nd suspect in Dunn County quadruple homicide surrenders to Arizona police

FDA advisory panel backs COVID-19 boosters only for elderly, high-risk