Updated: January 04, 2021 03:22 PM
Created: January 04, 2021 02:52 PM
Five people have been charged with felony riot after a downtown Minneapolis gathering on New Year's Eve.
According to the Hennepin County Attorney's Office, 26-year-old Jordan Abhold, 31-year-old Nelson Mendez of Minneapolis, 29-year-old Thomas Moseley, 32-year-old Marc Holley and 29-year-old Laura Galaviz have all been charged with second-degree riot-armed with a dangerous weapon.
According to the criminal complaint, on New Year's Eve, Minneapolis police were alerted to postings on social media telling people to gather at 11 p.m. at Park Avenue and Fourth Street in downtown Minneapolis. The post said to wear black and mask up. The post also said, "BURN THE PRECINCTS & THE PRISONS!”
Officers saw around 75 people converge at Commons Park before marching toward the Hennepin County Juvenile Justice Center and the Juvenile Detention Center on Park Avenue.
While the group marched, police observed some lighting and pointing fireworks at people and spray-painting graffiti on buildings along the way, including on the detention center.
Less than 45 minutes after the group arrived at its destination, police moved in to arrest as many as possible, according to a release. Officers arrested about 35 people as the group scattered.
Police said officers recovered knives, mace, spike balls, fireworks, gas masks, a Taser, body armor and helmets during the arrests.
Abhold was carrying a loaded .38 revolver, which he had a permit to carry.
Moseley was carrying a knife. He had already been charged in earlier incidents with felony property damage at the Minneapolis Fifth Precinct and possession of a dangerous weapon in a courthouse.
Holley was carrying a knife, gas mask, zip-ties, body armor and a two-way radio.
Galaviz was carrying two knives, and Mendez had fireworks, a Taser and a gas mask.
The five are expected to make their first court appearances on Tuesday.
Copyright 2021 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company