Advertisement

Coon Rapids fire caused by improperly discarded cigarette, 3rd case in past 2 weeks

Coon Rapids fire caused by improperly discarded cigarette, 3rd case in past 2 weeks Photo: KSTP.

Tommy Wiita
Updated: May 12, 2020 02:57 PM
Created: May 12, 2020 02:06 PM

The Coon Rapids Fire Department responded to a house fire early Tuesday morning.

The fire department said the house is located on the 500 block of 127th Lane Northwest. Fire officials say there was significant damage to the home and no injuries were reported. The fire started around 10:30 p.m. Monday.

Advertisement

The official cause was determined to be an improperly discarded cigarette butt in the backyard, which caught leaves on the patio on fire and spread to the house.

The fire department said this is the third case of an improperly disposed cigarette causing a fire in the past two weeks. They remind the public they can get a cigarette disposal container at the fire department.


Copyright 2020 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook
Advertisement

423 new COVID-19 cases, 8 additional deaths reported by MDH

Hourslong standoff in Hastings ends with man in custody, children safe

Police investigating what led up to Minneapolis shooting that hurt 2

KSTP's Fourth of July Guide

Washington Redskins undergoing 'thorough review' of team name

Klobuchar’s ACCESS Act keeps seniors connected during pandemic

Advertisement