Updated: May 30, 2020 03:12 AM
Created: May 29, 2020 05:16 PM
UPDATE: 1:21 a.m. - Law enforcement officers are working to clear the area around 31st Avenue South and Lake Street in Minneapolis, according to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. People are asked to leave the area.
UPDATE: 12:35 a.m. - Gov. Tim Walz has urged Minnesotans to go home, saying it has become "dangerous" to be out.
Minnesotans, please go home. It’s time to restore peace on our streets and in our neighborhoods. The situation has become dangerous for Minnesotans and first responders.— Governor Tim Walz (@GovTimWalz) May 30, 2020
UPDATE: 12:30 a.m. - The Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association has called on Gov. Tim Walz to "take control" of the situation in Minneapolis.
Governor, on behalf of law enforcement they do not have the resources to respond. Please support and take control. You need more resources. Law enforcement needs leadership— Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association (@MNPoliceAssn) May 30, 2020
UPDATE: 12:19 a.m. - Metro Transit confirms that their busses were used to transport officers to the scene however they are not being used to transport people under arrest.
Our buses not being used to transport people being arrested. While we do respond to mutual aid requests to transport law enforcement or equipment, we are not transporting people under arrest. Those buses are being used to transport officers. -HF— Metro Transit (@MetroTransitMN) May 30, 2020
UPDATE 12:15 a.m. - The Pentagon has taken the rare step of putting military police on alert to go to embattled Minneapolis. (Associated Press)
UPDATE: 12:10 a.m. - Mayor Jacob Frey said in addition to law enforcement heading to the 5th Precinct, resources are being sent to downtown Minneapolis.
A significant increase in personnel is being deployed to the 5th Precinct to help control the fire and provide support to our neighborhood. More resources being sent downtown (Nicollet).— Mayor Jacob Frey (@MayorFrey) May 30, 2020
According to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, shots have been fired at law enforcement. No troopers or officers have been injured.
Shots have been fired at law enforcement officers near the Fifth Precinct during the operation. No troopers or officers have been injured. Leave the area or you will be arrested. #MACCMN— MnDPS_DPS (@MnDPS_DPS) May 30, 2020
UPDATE: 11:58 p.m. - According to the Minnesota Department of Safety, troopers are giving dispersal orders near the 5th Precinct. Leave the are now or you will be arrested.
Troopers are giving dispersal orders near the Fifth Precinct. Leave the area now or you will be arrested. #MACCMN— MnDPS_DPS (@MnDPS_DPS) May 30, 2020
UPDATE: 11:39 p.m. - The Minnesota Department of Public Safety said 350 State Troopers are on the ground near the 5th Precinct in Minneapolis to clear the area and enforce the curfew.
350 troopers and officers are on the ground near the Fifth Precinct in Minneapolis to clear the area and enforce the curfew. #MACCMN— MnDPS_DPS (@MnDPS_DPS) May 30, 2020
Gov. Tim Walz has also tweeted that the Minnesota National Guard, State Patrol and local police are on the ground responding to incidents in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
The Minnesota National Guard, State Patrol, and local police are on the ground responding to incidents in Mpls-St. Paul. I urge residents to comply with 8pm curfew and go home immediately. Law enforcement needs to respond to emergencies, restore order, and keep Minnesotans safe.— Governor Tim Walz (@GovTimWalz) May 30, 2020
11:25 p.m. - Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey posted a Tweet, reiterating what the city's fire department said previously. He also added that he is working with the Department of Public Safety and Minnesota National Guard to provide support in the south Minneapolis.
For our @minneapolisfire fighters to respond, the area of the fire must be secure so they can focus on fighting the fire without risking their own safety. We are working with the State National Guard & MN DPS – who control Incident Command tonight – to provide support in South. https://t.co/2WEAvyeKMw— Mayor Jacob Frey (@MayorFrey) May 30, 2020
11:16 p.m. - The Minneapolis Fire Department posted a Tweet, stating the department is working to put out fires in the city. However, expect delays as each scene will need to be secured.
Minneapolis Fire continues to respond to fires across the City. Responses may be delayed until the scene can be secured.— Minneapolis Fire (@MinneapolisFire) May 30, 2020
UPDATE: 9:56 p.m. - Protesters are beginning to gather at the Minneapolis Police Department's 5th Precinct.
9:20 p.m. - Protesters are marching on Interstate 35W near Washington Avenue in Minneapolis.
8:30 p.m. - Earlier, a fire has been started in north Minneapolis and tear gas has been deployed on protesters who are still out past the 8 p.m. curfew set in Minneapolis.
6:30 p.m. -Protesters who were marching on Interstate 35W near University Avenue Friday have exited the interstate onto Washington Avenue as demonstrations continue following George Floyd's death. The group was on Stone Arch Bridge at about 5:40 p.m. and was blocking the Hennepin Avenue Bridge at around 5 p.m. The crowd is now gathered near U.S. Bank Stadium.
KSTP Reporter Callan Gray said the crowd began to disperse just before the 8 p.m. curfew went into effect.
With the curfew set to begin at 8 p.m., the rally is now wrapping up.
The group had been marching on I-35W before moving onto Washington Avenue earlier in the 6 o'clock hour.
Protesters blocked both sides of traffic on the bridge just before 5 p.m.
After about 30 minutes, the group began marching back toward downtown Minneapolis.
KSTP Reporter Kirsten Swanson said many in the crowd had signs and chants like, "hands up, don't shoot" were occasionally breaking out.
According to Swanson, the group has ebbed and flowed since an earlier rally when people met in downtown Minneapolis following a press conference with community leaders.
The group has remained peaceful throughout the day.
Copyright 2020 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company