2 of 10 Exposed to CO in St. Paul Treated at Hennepin County's Hyperbaric Chamber

January 02, 2018 06:44 PM

Ten people are recovering after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning inside their St. Paul home on Monday morning. 

Doctors at Hennepin County Medical Center say two people suffered high levels of the deadly gas and were treated in the facility's Hyperbaric chamber. 


RELATED: 10 Hospitalized for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in St. Paul

Dr. Christopher Logue, the medical director for the Center for Hyperbaric Medicine at HCMC, treated the St. Paul family who was exposed to the gas.

"There were multiple people exposed in this dwelling, and they needed to get out of the environment and remove themselves from the exposure," Logue said. 

Logue said the patients were placed inside the Hyperbaric chamber to quickly restore their oxygen levels. 

"Once the doors are locked and the room is pressurized, patients can breathe 100 percent oxygen," he said. "And we can get their blood level of oxygen 10 times higher than we could if they were just breathing oxygen in the emergency room." 

Logue has treated more than 77 severely poisoned patients in the Upper Midwest Region. He says the chamber can treat multiple patients at one time. 

RELATED: 7 Treated for Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning on Iron Range

"When we treat them we can rapidly get the carbon monoxide out of their system, but we can also prevent them from getting long-term neurological problems from the carbon monoxide," he said. 

CO Poisoning Prevention Tips, courtesy Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Gas- and oil-burning furnaces produce carbon monoxide (CO), an invisible, odorless, poison gas that kills hundreds every year and makes thousands more sick. Keep your family safe this winter by following these steps:

  • Have your furnace inspected every year.
  • Install battery-operated CO detectors near every sleeping area in your home.
  • Check CO detectors regularly to be sure they are functioning properly.   

Portable back-up generators produce carbon monoxide, as well. Keep your family safe by following these steps:

  • Never use a generator inside your home or garage, even if doors and windows are open.
  • Only use generators outside, more than 20 feet away from your home, doors, and windows.Install battery-operated CO detectors near every sleeping area in your home.
  • Check CO detectors regularly to be sure they are functioning properly.

HCMC is urging families to safeguard themselves against the silent killer. 

"The method for prevention is to have detectors, and anything that you have in your house that burns a carbon based fuel is adequately ventilated," Logue said. "Make sure your furnace is working well, go outside to cook with charcoal and do not run your vehicle inside your garage." 


Cleo Greene

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


Cambridge Girl Writes Book to Help Sister, Raise Awareness About Type 1 Diabetes

60s and Sunny in Twin Cities Thursday

New Probe Launched into DHS' 'Serious Data Breach'

Bullets Fly in St. Paul Neighborhood, Wounding 2 and Narrowly Missing 2 Children

New Record for 'Outside Spending' on Minnesota House Races

Sheriff: Deaths of Missing Wisconsin Teen's Parents Ruled Homicides