June 14, 2019 08:40 AM
Fairview Southdale in Edina will pay more than $3 million to a patient who lost an eye during surgery eight years ago.
That comes after a jury, and now an appellate court, found the hospital caused an infection by using surgical equipment that had not been properly sterilized - a contention the hospital continues to disagree with.
Jeanne Shellum went to the hospital in November 2011 for surgery to repair a macular hole in her left eye that was impairing her vision.
But what should have been a routine procedure resulted in an infection and the loss of her eye. An expert testified the infection likely came from surgical equipment that had not been properly sterilized.
The jury and appellate court agreed, but their ruling hasn't eased Shellum's continuing anger over what happened.
"It's like they didn't ever care that this terrible thing had happened to me in their facility," she said.
You might be surprised to learn how few medical malpractice lawsuits like Jeanne Shellum's are filed in Minnesota.
In a statement, the hospital apologized for what happened to Shellum, but continued to take issue with the contention equipment had not been properly sterilized.
"We are sorry for the complication this patient and her family experienced," the statement read. "While we disagree with the allegations that equipment was not properly sterilized, process standards have evolved."
Updated: June 14, 2019 08:40 AM
Created: June 13, 2019 06:14 PM
Copyright 2019 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company