St. Paul woman sentenced to 3 years probation for 2021 fatal hit-and-run

A St. Paul woman who entered a guilty plea to one count of criminal vehicular homicide in July was sentenced to three years of probation with a stayed sentence of four years in prison Thursday in Hennepin County court.

Aissata Dore, 21, was charged in the death of 23-year-old Kevin Dodge-Fjelbroten in May of 2021.

Court records show that Dore will serve three years of supervised probation and serve the prison time if she violates the terms of her release.

Dore will also serve 60 days in a correctional workhouse, according to court records.

RELATED: Woman arrested in connection with fatal hit-and-run crash in Minneapolis

As previously reported, a warrant had been issued in July when it was reported that Dore violated the interim conditions of the case. The condition was that Dore must remain on electronic home monitoring (EHM) and follow all EHM rules.

However, the warrant was cleared on Aug. 1.

A criminal complaint states on May 28, officers from the Minneapolis Police Department responded to the intersection of Broadway Avenue West and 26th Avenue North on the report of a pedestrian struck by a vehicle.

Upon arrival, police found a man later identified as Dodge-Fjelbroten on the street. His injuries were consistent with being struck by a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed. According to the complaint, officers found a silver Ford Taurus with “obvious and debilitating front end damage” about 15 feet from the victim’s body. Witnesses told authorities at the scene they saw two females run from the Taurus after it collided with the pedestrian.

Dodge-Fjelbroten died at a hospital.

The vehicle was discovered to be registered to Dore. Her phone was synchronized to her car at the time of the collision and automatically called 911 when the car detected the collision. The 911 operator opened the line to Dore’s phone and heard two females talking outside the vehicle before the line went silent. Neither female made any attempt to speak to the 911 operator or report the accident, according to the complaint.

Soon after the time of the collision, Dore reported her car was stolen the night before after she left it unlocked. She also claimed she left her phone and keys in her unlocked car. When officers requested that Dore come speak to them regarding her car, she failed to show up at multiple appointments made with police.

Later, Dore admitted to investigators that the car involved in the collision was hers and she was behind the wheel at the time of the incident. Additionally, she admitted to fleeing the scene. After reviewing surveillance footage, officers determined she was traveling at a high rate of speed “far above” other cars traveling in the area at the time of the crash.