Minneapolis Public Schools approves settlement with Hill family
Tuesday, members of the Minneapolis Public Schools Board approved a $500,000 settlement with the family of Deshaun Hill Jr.
The 15-year-old star quarterback and North High School honor roll student was fatally shot last February while walking to the bus stop after school.
As previously reported by 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS, the attorney for Hill’s family says the school’s principal let students out of class early the day he was killed to protest after Minneapolis police shot and killed Amir Locke. That attorney says Hill’s parents didn’t get notice of the early dismissal.
As part of the settlement, the family would release all other claims against the district.
In a statement, Minneapolis Public Schools said:
The family of Deshaun Hill, Jr. asserted claims against Minneapolis Public Schools arising out of his tragic death. While the school district denied all liability, it reached a settlement with the family. While the school board authorized the settlement, ultimately, the settlement must be approved and distributed by the Hennepin County District Court.
The senseless murder of Deshaun Hill will always be the ultimate tragedy. We hold his family and close friends in our hearts and always will.Minneapolis Public Schools
Cody Fohrenkam is the man accused of shooting Hill. He is scheduled to go on trial later this month for a charge of second-degree intentional murder.