Man pleads guilty to assault charge after spring stabbing in Minneapolis
A man pleaded guilty to an assault charge Thursday after being arrested for stabbing another man in Minneapolis back in April.
Court documents show 54-year-old Phillip Miranda Jellum pleaded guilty to second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon.
He had previously pleaded not guilty in July.
Minneapolis police say they arrested Jellum after responding to reports of a stabbing just before 7:15 a.m. on April 23 in the 2400 block of Pillsbury Avenue.
Officers found the stabbing victim, an adult male, who was “bleeding severely from the abdomen” according to the criminal complaint.
The victim said that he and Jellum were sitting on a porch when Jellum “began stabbing in in the abdomen for no apparent reason.” The victim had thought the two were friends.
When police approached Jellum, he reportedly said “the knife is over there” and pointed to a knife that is believed to be the weapon used in the attack.
Though the victim’s multiple stab wounds were considered non-life-threatening, his intestines were exposed, according to the complaint.
Jellum is currently in custody at the Hennepin County Jail.
His sentencing is set for Sept. 16, 2022.
Jellum faces a maximum sentence of seven years in prison and a fine of up to $14,000. At a minimum, he must spend one year and one day behind bars.