1st round of Dubai Desert Classic to be closed to public

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Spectators will not be allowed to attend the first round of the Dubai Desert Classic on Thursday because of what organizers have described as “severe weather conditions” forecast at Emirates Golf Club. The European tour says the decision had been made “with the safety of all in mind.” The tour says “Emirates Golf Club will be open only to the players, the caddies, officials and the media” and adds that it looks forward to inviting the public back to the course on Friday. The Dubai Desert Classic is one of the biggest events on the European tour’s schedule. Top-ranked Rory McIlroy headlines the field this year.

Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.