'The 3 Miracles of St Peter': Waseca Beats Marshall in 4 OTs to Win Section

Chris Long
Updated: 03/04/2016 7:03 PM
Created: 03/04/2016 2:10 AM

It's hard to imagine the multiples of drama that unfolded at Lund Gymnasium on the campus of Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter Thursday night.

That said, we've put together a video recapping the remarkable Section 2AAA Final between Waseca and Marshall that simply has to be seen to be believed. Waseca won 103-100 in four overtimes.

Watch and tell your friends.

But they won't believe it until they see it.

Click the video box on this page to see KSTP's special cut of the "The Three Miracles Of St Peter"

Waseca and Marshall were neck-and-neck the entire game.

Waseca led 29-27 and halftime, and they were separated by only three points as regulation wound down.

Marshall inbounded the ball with just a few seconds left in regulation, trailing 72-69.

Trey Lance approached the three-point line and sent up a shot.

The ball bounced off the rim just enough to give Waseca fans the notion the ball would rattle out and give them the game, but gravity took hold just enough to bring the ball back through the hoop. Lance's three tied the game at 72, sending it to overtime.

Each team scored nine points in overtime.

Each team scored six points in the second overtime.

It was still tied at 91 in the closing seconds of the third overtime.

Marshall's Reece Winkelman drove the baseline, went up for a shot and was fouled, but the ball glanced off the backboard and dropped through the hoop as the clock showed 1.7 seconds remaining.

Winkelman went to the line and hit his free throw, giving Marshall a 94-91 lead with just those 1.7 seconds left.

Seemingly without hope, Waseca inbounded the ball. Its only prayer being a full-court 'Hail Mary'.  

Nick Dufault received the inbound pass, and in one motion flung the ball toward the far end of the gym - some 70-feet away.

The ball arced and crested, the crowd silenced, the horn sounded and the ball descended,  landing directly in the basket.

They were the easily the most dramatic of Dufault's game-high 43 points.

The game's second buzzer beater had tied it yet again at 94, and the madness continued into a fourth overtime.

Waseca was up two as the late seconds of the fourth overtime ticked down. Marshall's Andrew Hmielewski hit a tricky reverse lay-up to knot the game, again, at 100-100 with seven seconds to go.

Waseca would inbound with only slightly more time than their first miracle had allowed.

A short inbound to their own low post area nearly caused Waseca's inbound pass recipient to become trapped by swarming Marshall defenders. Calmly, but urgently, he spotted Cole Streich on the far sideline, cutting upcourt.

Streich took a cross-court pass in-stride and put the ball down in the backcourt, dribbling as he sprinted across midcourt.

Approaching the three-point arc, Streich slowed, coiled and shot.

Swish. Horn.

The third buzzer beater of the wildest game you could possibly imagine game finally ended it.

Waseca wins 103-100 in four overtimes.

The Blue Jays advance to the State Basketball Tournament, where they'll open play at Target Center in the Class AAA quarterfinals on Wednesday.

Waseca and Marshall boys basketball players watch as a buzzer-beating game-winning shot heads toward the basket at the conclusion of the fourth overtime
Jeff Van Hee

Daily Poll

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Broken Clouds
88° | 70°
  • Feels like: 88° F
  • Wind: SW 12mph
  • Humidity: 51%