Minnesota Reinsurance Gets OK, but Funding Questions Linger

In this Sept. 15, 2017, photo, Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price speaks at the Mirmont Treatment Center in Media, Pa Photo: AP/Jacqueline Larma, File
In this Sept. 15, 2017, photo, Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price speaks at the Mirmont Treatment Center in Media, Pa

September 22, 2017 04:37 PM

Gov. Mark Dayton says the nation's top federal health care official has signed off on Minnesota's new program to help lower insurance rates.

State lawmakers created a $542 million reinsurance program this year that's expected to lower premiums in 2018 by as much as 20 percent. But it needs federal approval, and a long wait has caused heartburn in Dayton's administration.

Advertisement

Dayton told reporters Friday that Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price had assured him the waiver would be approved.

But there's still a major question about whether the state will see drastic cuts to its health care program for low-income residents. Dayton was informed late last week that the reinsurance approval may be paired with slashing $369 million in funding for MinnesotaCare.

Dayton says that cut is unclear.

Credits

AP

(Copyright 2017 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Advertisement

Minneapolis City Council, Police Show Support for Undocumented Immigrants with New Ordinance

Light Snow, Flurries Expected to Continue Through the Weekend

St. Paul City Council Takes Action on 3 Super Bowl-Related Measures

Minnesota Senate Appointment Could Spur Legal Fight

Deadly Light Rail Accident Now in Hands of Ramsey County Attorney

Advertisement