Dayton Asks Lower Court to Hold Off in Budget Veto Battle

Gov. Mark Dayton speaks about the prospect of Graham-Cassidy at the State Captiol. Photo: KSTP
Gov. Mark Dayton speaks about the prospect of Graham-Cassidy at the State Captiol.

November 01, 2017 03:50 PM

Gov. Mark Dayton is asking a lower court to stay its ruling that his veto of the Legislature's budget was unconstitutional while the Minnesota Supreme Court considers the case.

The legal battle between the Democratic governor and Republican Legislature has been on pause for months. It surrounds Dayton's decision to veto the House and Senate's $130 million operating budget in a bid to rework costly tax breaks and other measures.

Advertisement

RELATED: Dayton Blasts Legislators, Even as He Allows Budget Bills to Become Law

The Supreme Court hasn't definitively weighed in since Dayton appealed a Ramsey County District Court decision in July that struck down his veto. The Legislature asked the district court to enforce that decision last week.

But Dayton said Wednesday that decision should be stayed until the Supreme Court issues a final decision. Dayton argues his action was constitutional.


 

Credits

The Associated Press

(Copyright 2017 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Advertisement

No Start to 3M Trial, Judge Says Parties Will Have Announcement Tuesday Afternoon

Man Convicted of Murder in Fatal Minnetonka Park-and-Ride Shooting

Snowfall Ending in Twin Cities, but it will Stay Cooler

KSTP Sports Girls State Hockey Tourney Central

1 Killed in 3-Vehicle Crash in Ham Lake

31-Year-Old St. Paul Woman Dies after 2-Vehicle Crash in Duluth

Advertisement