June 17, 2017 11:28 AM
The federal government is considering whether to review the case of Jeronimo Yanez after a jury found him not guilty on three charges Friday, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Minnesota.
The office released a statement Friday that said the case has been closely monitored by the Department of Justice.
A prosecutor with the U.S. Attorney's Office had been designated to assist the state prosecution team, but the DOJ determined that was the strongest available federal option in the case.
A higher level of intent is required when weighing charges under federal criminal civil rights law, the statement said.
Updated: June 17, 2017 11:28 AM
Created: June 16, 2017 10:24 PM
Copyright 2017 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company