May 24, 2018 07:41 PM
The 18-year-old student charged in connection to an assault on a teaching assistant that occurred at a Minneapolis school Tuesday has been released from jail.
Corey David Burfield has been charged with one count of first-degree assault and one count of third-degree assault.
He appeared in court in Hennepin County Thursday. The judge allowed his release, but he will be required to get a home monitoring device within three days. And he will have to stay at home unless he is working, at school or seeking medical treatments.
Burfield was appointed a public defender and cannot be within a three-block radius of the teaching assistant, who suffered severe injuries as a result of the assault.
The judge did say Burfield will not be allowed at school when the teaching assistant - Mohammed Dukuly - is there because of the no-contact provision.
The judge did not require bail.
“Quite frankly we are disappointed,” said Imam Mohammed Dukuly, the victim’s uncle.
“He’s going to do it again. The fact that he did this, and he can be released on the second day, I’m quite sure a lot of people are going to fall victim to this young man.”
According to the criminal complaint, a school resource officer at Harrison Education Center – which serves high school students with emotional and behavioral issues – reportedly observed Burfield approach the teaching assistant — later identified as Dukuly — and shove him against a wall and then to the ground.
The complaint said the officer then watched Burfield punch Dukuly a number of times in the neck and head. According to the complaint, surveillance video shows the student initially trying to grab at Dukuly's belt where he had his school radio and keys.
Burfield told authorities that Dukuly "took a swing" at him and he was only attempting to defend himself.
Dukuly was transported to the hospital after the incident. His condition was upgraded from critical to serious Thursday afternoon. His family said he had been drinking and speaking.
Burfield has no prior adult convictions and is on medication for mental illness. The judge also ordered he see a mental health professional within two weeks.
Burfield's family did not want to speak to reporters.
“We try to work with him, with his issues, but we cannot have this kind of violence in our schools," Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said.
“Accordingly, this office will be prosecuting this case to its fullest extent.”
Freeman was asked if there is an alternative to releasing Burfield or holding him in jail.
“Our mental health system leaves a lot to be desired,” Freeman said. “I will say, primarily, because of lack of funding by our legislature and by our federal government, we simply have not done what we should for these kids.”
Freeman also called for more school resource officers, saying this situation shows how necessary they are.
Burfield's next court appearance is scheduled for June 22.
Callan Gray and Frank Rajkowski
Updated: May 24, 2018 07:41 PM
Created: May 24, 2018 02:55 PM
Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company