Updated: 07/08/2014 12:41 PM
Created: 07/08/2014 10:31 AM KSTP.com
By: Megan Stewart
A 33-year-old Zimmerman man is in critical condition at a local hospital after a firework exploded in his hand Monday night.
The incident happened around 7 p.m. on the 14000 block of 289th Avenue in Zimmerman.
According to the Sherburne County Sheriff's Office, Jeffery Vane bought fireworks in South Dakota. A witness told investigators Vane had tried to light an aerial firework and throw it, but the firework apparently had a short fuse and exploded in Vane's hand.
Vane was airlifted by North Care Air to North Memorial Medical Center with severe injuries to his left hand and minor injuries to his right hand and face.
He was in critical condition at North Memorial on Monday afternoon.
The sheriff's office was assisted by North East Sherburne Fire and Rescue.